We don't all have the same talents

Tilley



Tilley was amazing, she was one of the most talented flying Standard Poodles that I have ever met.  The girl loved her discs; but she pretty much loved anything that she could chase and catch.  Luke also loved his Frisbee time but he did not have the talent that Tilley possessed.  He could chase the disc and catch it; but leap in the air and land properly?  Not so much.  He loved it as well but just didn't have the same talent as Tilley possessed.  


Luke

Each dog has their own hidden talent.  Finding is sometimes difficult; but it is often right in front of our face and we just don't know it.  Elsa is very talented in the running and retrieving department.  She loves nothing more than retrieving and catching.  She is very agile but not like Tilley was.  Elsa is a bigger dog than Tilley was; so getting airborne and turning on a dime is more difficult for Elsa than it was for Tilley.  Elsa could out distance Tilley but Tilley could out maneuver Elsa.  They are all different.  


Elsa

Tilley got us into the whole disc dog thing but it will end with her.  She was like a canine ballerina; so the amazing feats that she performed were easy for her.  For any other non ballerina type; leaping in the air and landing can do a great deal of damage.  I'm sure even Tilley endured wear and tear on her body due to the flying and landing.  

As much as Elsa loves to catch and retrieve; she will be sticking close to the ground.  Besides, she excels in the all round athletic field anyway.  She is built to run and run she does.  She loves it and if I happen to be out with her (I do not run) and a runner passes us; she gets very charged up and wants to run with the jogging stranger.  
Each dog has their own thing; desire and body type will and should factor in what you do with each.  Luke could leap into the air when he was young; but he never got the landing thing, it was pretty scary so we kept him grounded.  Figure it out, that hidden talent might just be the thing that drives you crazy about your dog.  For Tilley it was an obsessive compulsive desire to chase shadows; once we introduced disc, the rest was history.  


1 comment:

  1. I have no idea if my Blue is as agile as your Tilly. But I know that I always think he does these spectacular leaps and superman jumps, that even when he fails to catch what he is jumping for, he fails spectacularly.

    I am so glad I talked myself into a standard poodle. Because remember, I had the mind set of the "fru fru" dog originally, until my research into possible breeds for me to get continued to circle around to the spoo.

    Thanks for the great blogs! Love following them.

    Brooke and Blue

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you.