Temperament testing

The subject of temperament testing is a pretty controversial one. These days there are the folks who think it is a bunch of nonsense and those who think that it is a very important part of raising a litter. I am one who thinks that it is important but I definitely do not think that the results are cast in stone. I tend look at things as movable, able to bend and turn corners.

When I test a litter the breeder typically has an idea of each puppies personality already. After all they have raised these pups from birth and know the litter as a whole. Temperament testing is about pulling each puppy alone, putting them into a strange environment with a stranger (thats me). This enables me to see how the puppy will deal alone, away from the rest of the pack which is usually very different from being with the pack.

The breeder brings out each puppy and places it in the room or area that I am testing and then leaves completely. Each test usually takes me about 15 min. as I like to run through the test and give the puppy time to get comfortable to the new area and the new person. Recovery time is very important, some recover quickly, some do not recover and continue to be very intimidated by the whole situation.

Temperament testing is probably one of my favorite jobs, who wouldn't like spending a couple of hours with seven week old pups? It makes no difference to me what breed I'm testing I love them all. Although the results do matter in testing different breeds. What might be normal for a litter of Cavaliers is going to be very different from say a litter of Australian Cattle Dogs or Rottweillers.

Once each puppy is tested they are given a number score, the number you want is a 3 or 4. This number is a rating on how the puppy is dealing with different situations right now and gives the breeder an idea of which type of environment to place them into. Once placed into their new home, a dog can change alot depending on their environment. Good pups can turn into amazing dogs, timid puppies can turn into very social dogs and great puppies can turn into fearful dogs. That's why choosing the right family is as important as choosing the right puppy.

Research and educate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you.