So the Oprah show on Puppy Mills has now aired twice; has it made a difference? Are people still mindlessly moseying into the pet stores and buying on impulse? We have a pet store at our local mall; it is about 5 min. from my house but I don't go in or even look that way as I pass the store front. So I don't know if people are still going in. I do know that by now with all the media coverage including the Oprah show that there is no reason not to know.
Even people who do know about Puppy Mills and the horrific lives these breeder dogs live go into the stores. I know several rescue people who know all about Milers and their evil deeds but they bought a puppy in a pet store. Why is this? When then when you know the facts; would you go and give them your hard earned money? The way that some human minds work is to save or rescue when they can. So to them they are saving a puppy.
WRONG!!!!!!This is the wrong thing to do and believe me I have a definite "save" mentality as well but knowing the big picture and "getting it," helps.
1. By buying a puppy; you enable the pet store to buy more puppies.
2. By buying a puppy; you keep the millers in business.
3. By buying a puppy; you enable the millers to continue with their cruely.
4. By buying a puppy; you ensure that the dogs who live the tortured lives at a mill continue, unchanged.
5. By buying a puppy; you keep the inhumane treatment of these in a never ending cycle.
STOP THE CYCLE; DO NOT SPEND ONE CENT OF YOUR MONEY IN A PET STORE THAT SELLS PUPPIES OR KITTENS.
The real truth is that only we can make a difference. It is the consumer who has the power; if we don't buy puppies from pet stores or online stores the millers will go out of business; bottom line.