Sofa; yes or no?




The big debate; "should I let my dogs on the sofa?" And the answer is yes and no depending on your dog. This is one of the most common questions and one that can make or break your relationship with your dog. My rule of thumb about couchdom is "when I say so," meaning that only when and if I say you can come up, you can come up. But we have a slightly different rule in our home and it is all due to Luke.

Luke is a digger, a fluffer of comfyness. About 70% of the time he fluffs madly and then makes his ritual 12 spins before laying down. Now I don't know about you but I'm not real keen on having him fluff my leather or fabric furniture. He has ruined I don't know how many dog beds which then are flipped over until he ruins the otherside. So my rule is only because of this digging fool and really has nothing to do with the whole "dogs on the couch." They use to be on the couch until his digging got worse and we got new furniture and before that it was always "only when I say so."

Many dogs will growl or posture if you try to move them off the couch, afterall they are sitting in your spot which is the ultimate position. But they think you are trying to take their spot. That is when things have to change drastically, and off they go. Dogs like this should never be allowed on the furniture, and that is specifically so you can take back your status  "leader of the pack." If you allow your dog to have the best seat and not be moved because everyone is afraid of the snarling canine then guess who really is the boss?

It's all about manners, manners, manners. So if your dog get's off when you ask and has no guarding of the spot or status seeking behavior over the couch then simply implement the "ask first" rule. This means that they must wait to be asked before getting up onto the sofa.  They may ask to get up but they must wait for your reply.  Ask?  How the heck do they ask you ask?  They sit looking at the couch, you, the couch, you, waiting ever so patiently for the word.  That magical word that says "yes you can get on the couch now."  My word is okay, it is and has been my release word since I was 13 years old and that's a longtime ago. 

The rule works for just about any dog and it stops your guests from dealing with a 100 lap dog when they visit. 

5 comments:

  1. Well I have had poodles for over 30 years and all of them have been allowed to be couch potatoes. :) Poodles are made for couches because they don't have any doggy odor and don't shed. :-) I do admit to keeping a throw on the sofa because their feet are not as clean as mine. :-)

    When I approach the sofa Bella will move without even a word from me. Ripley (my mini) will be up on his feet and bouncing all over the sofa waiting for me to sit down so that he may claim his spot in my lap. I guess I have been fortunate, because I have never had a growl from any of my poodles in all these years. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine are allowed on the couch. I never taught them to ask first, but they do! They ask exactly as you described, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my kids are not allowed on the sofa. two shibas shedding at once is not fun to clean up after.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you keep them from getting on the couch when you aren't watching? Our spoiled poodle has her own couch in the room where we spend the most time, but the new couch down stairs is off limits. She absolutely knows though, that we can't stop her from getting on the couch if we aren't in the room and will jump down and get in her own bed when she hears us coming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do you keep them from getting on the couch when you aren't watching? Our spoiled poodle has her own couch in the room where we spend the most time, but the new couch down stairs is off limits. She absolutely knows though, that we can't stop her from getting on the couch if we aren't in the room and will jump down and get in her own bed when she hears us coming.

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you.