Antlers*


These are approximately 7-8 inches long.  I always err on the longer side when dealing with chews.  I also really like the shape of these.  The extra piece gave the dogs something to hold onto.   Sent to us from Bullytested.com to test and review. 

They arrived, our antlers or I should say the dog's antlers.  I've never given my dogs antlers before but was excited to give them a try.  Both of my guys are chewers; Elsa more so being a youngster but Luke likes a good chew as well.  I'd read up and done my research on antlers for dogs and was happy where these ones came from.  Bully Tested  - their antlers are naturally shed in the US, which is important.


Introducing the antler "yep, these are for you guys."   They sniffed and pushed it for a while.



Luke being more mature and experienced gave it a go first while Elsa watched intently.  


After much coaxing she gave it a try and never looked back.


After a bath and haircut the first thing she grabbed was her antler.  


She is having a good chew.


But having made a tactical error and gotten too close to Luke, she loses her antler momentarily.  



Of course there are two, but one is much better than the other.  


Don't worry, she got it back.  Luke just likes to take things to show her that he still can.  He always lets her have them back in a few minutes.  What a guy.  As you can see she has chewed the nub end, preferring that spot best.  

We also have a forked antler for Miss Penny.  She will be getting it in about a week and I will blog how that goes as well.  

As I type this blog Elsa has just ran down stairs and brought up one of the antlers.  It is definitely her go to chew right now.

                          Bully tested, yes; and Standard Poodle approved.

* Of course like anything you must supervise the use of antlers.  There is always a possibility of tooth damage when using hard chews.  So far both Elsa and Luke are simply enjoying them and have not had any issues.

3 comments:

  1. I know these are quite popular, as many of my customers have told me that.(I have a shop and love to put out a bowl of antlers for decor). I guess I will not do the same at home, as my Standards would want them. I think that I will bring some like the ones you pictured and let them go at it. Seeing it on this blog makes me feel that it is all ok!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twice I've tried antlers. The first time they were splintered in less then 10 minutes (and I do not have pit bulls). Someone convinced me that I had just gotten a bad batch (I have four dogs, so I guess a batch is four :)) Same thing, splintered in less then 10 minutes. I guess I'm just unlucky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Antlers are outstanding chews for Spoos! (of course for other dogs too!)

    It's important to note something here: Some antlers are packaged split down the center. These WILL splinter, and leave some really sharp pieces.

    Antlers can last a reallllllly long time, and even seeming expensive initially, they are without a doubt, the best choice for a cheap chew because they do last so long. There is one thing you can do to make them last MUCH longer. From time to time, one of the edges will get worn down and become sharp. Keep your eyes peeled for this! We have a bench grinder making it super simple to just grind it a little bit, to soften the sharp edge. If you don't have a bench grinder, you can make your own sanding strips (they need to be strong!) by using a sheet of coarse sandpaper and backing it with heavy duct tape, then cutting into 2" strips. This works very well to just take off the sharp edges.

    PS: Always make sure that the antlers are FRESH and as you pointed out Sherri, naturally shed. Some that are naturally shed have been out in the elements too long and will splinter readily. Be careful of sources, because some actually chemically treat them!!! No treatment is necessary in any way!!

    Happy Chewing!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you.