Thunder shirt - repost

This is a repost due to July 4th coming up. If you don't have a thunder shirt try an elastic bandage wrap. Not too tight just snug to give the same effect.


First let me say that I hope all of your dogs are safe and sound at home where they belong.  No doubt there will be dogs who were freaked out by the fireworks and are now wandering the streets looking for home.  The shelters will have them in their hands more than likely today but it never fails that there will be lost dogs, so very sad. 

We sat out on our balcony last night to watch the fireworks; we had'nt realized how much growth had gone on over a year as we watch the amazing explosion just over the peaks of the trees.  There is nothing really close to us so everything is in the distance.  Last year we did the same thing and Tilley never flinched; with her hearing leaving she didn't hear the big booms.  This year seemed like a boomer year and she indeed flinched.  With one exceptionally loud boom and flash of light she started to dig.  I took that cue to run and get my Thunder shirt.  I've had it since right after last years July 4th and only got the chance to give it a whirl.

I knew exactly where it was; I'd seen it earlier in the day when I was looking for a specific collar.  At first glance the Thunder shirt looks complicated but once you get it; it's easy.  I wrapped it around my digging, panting girl and she calmed somewhat.  Not sure that I'd wrapped it tightly enough I rewrapped her like a burrito.  Once wrapped she was most definitely less frantic.

The Thunder shirt did not stop her fear but it surely made a dent in the degree.  I have to say that was surprised that Tilley was bothered with the fireworks with her hearing even worse than ever.  No matter she started her digging which is her typical response to fireworks.  Where she thinks she is going is away, just away from the sound and lights.  But with the Thunder shirt she was able to lie down and once down stairs away from the light show she quickly fell asleep with her snazzy wrap tightly hugging her body.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you.