A poison to watch out for

Good morning, as we all know there are certain items that we need to make sure don't get into our dogs. The ones that we've known about for a longtime are Chocolate, and caffeine which is in cola, coffee and teas. Onions which can be toxic to our dogs so skip the onions if you cook for your dogs. Grapes and raisin are one of the newer items on the list but one to keep out of reach of our dogs.

The newest addition to the poison list is a dangerous one. Xylitol which is a natural substance found in fibrous vegetables and fruit, as well as in corn cobs and various hardwood trees like birch. Once extracted it is formulated into Xylitol; a natural sugar substitute. Although it is found safe for human consumption it is not safe for our dogs.

Xylitol is most widely used in sugar free gum and mints. If you look Xylitol up on the web you will find many sad stories of family pets who died or nearly died after consuming gum they snuck out of a pocket or purse. Check the ingredients list oon the gum you buy regularly and if it does contain Xylitol; switch to a different type of be 100% sure that your dog does not have access to it.

Xylitol causes dogs to secrete insulin so their blood sugar drops very quickly. The second thing that happens is liver failure. If that happens, even with aggressive treatment, it can be difficult to save them.


Please spread the word, it could save a life or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you.