Fear free?



This article was in my news feed yesterday. 

Fear Free Challenge

The title alone, caught my attention.  I clicked on it, read and listened.  There is much more to read and listen to via videos but I wanted to share it and discuss fear and handling pets at the Veterinarians office.  Many of you already know about some of my issues with Veterinarians.  I have had several situations that turned out very badly at the Vets. 

Losing my dog

Looking for a great Vet

Care, real care

So, if you've read the above blogs you will understand my stand on the whole concern over Veterinarian employees handling of my dogs.  I have recently had a few very nice Vet office visits, so it is not all the Veterinarian facility that I am talking about, just a few that don't get it. 

A trip to the vet (good one)

I remember years ago when I was taking all three of my dogs in for titers.  They were having blood removed from their jugular vein and needed to be held up against the person with their head held back.  One of the technicians grabbed Jessie and began putting her in position; Jessie then started to struggle, the more she struggled the harder the tech held her.  It was a lose, lose situation and Jessie started to panic.  I immediately stepped in and very abruptly said "I'll hold her."  There was a great deal of shrugging and apprehension as I was accustom to so I just ended it there by making a statement of what was happening, I wasn't asking.  As soon as I took Jessie into my arms she relaxed and I talked to her while they drew her blood.  It was as easy as that.

Now, yes, I know there are people who cannot and do not want to hold their dog while they have a blood draw; but that is not me, I want to be there for my dog and I am more than capable.  I do not know if the above Fear Free Challenge also incorporates the art of dealing with owners being hands on but it should.  I will read further to see if there is anything about it or if it is just about how "they" handle the animals. 

When someone wants to stay with their animal, help, hold and assist; it should be given a chance.  Of course there are people who might want to help but are just more trouble than good.  Even if we can't do everything that is needed, we should be allowed to be present.  I know that if I could be there, my dogs would be much more relaxed.  The simple act of being taken away from their owners is very stressful; why is this not a consideration in most practices? 

The Veterinarian office that asked Tilley and I not to return was very bad with their handling of Tilley.  The techs did not take into account that she was 14.5 with Vestibular disease.  They man handled her into position, caused her to fall and generally made things horrible.  I hope that this challenge changes things, I guess time will tell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you.